Wednesday 5 December 2012

How To Make Paper Snowflakes


When I was five, I remember watching the weatherman on tv just before Christmas.  To the joy of my little kid heart I was informed by said weatherman that indeed we would be having a white Christmas.  Of course when I awoke on Christmas morning and looked out the window there was no snow in sight.  I swear that our front lawn had even become greener just to spite me.  I realized years later that I likely had been watching the weather report for a different area.  Regardless, I still get a twinge of envy towards those who get to enjoy a snowy Christmas.

Okay now for the paper snowflakes

The steps for making a paper snowflake are something that for whatever reason I forget every year.  So if you're like me, then you will appreciate the instructions below-I've included 3 different ways to fold the paper as well as some examples of how to cut the paper to get specific designs.


 Method No. 1


Start with a sheet of paper
If the paper is not square fold the corner up to create a centre line
Cut off the excess
Fold the square in half diagonally
Now fold in half diagonally again to make a smaller triangle
This is where it gets tricky.  Fold the triangle into thirds.  You will probably need to make adjustments

Your piece of paper should now look like this

Cut off the two ends.  Cut the paper at an angle so that your snowflake will have 6 points



Use the templates below to create the corresponding classic snowflake designs






 Method No. 2

 

Unlike in method 1, once you have created your square piece of paper fold it in half but not diagonally

With the folded edge at the bottom, fold the bottom left corner up to the top of the paper
Repeat with the bottom right corner.  This should create a point at the bottom

Cut off the two ends as in method no.1




Cut out your design

Use the design above to create this snowflake


Method No. 3

Follow method no. 1 up to where you fold the square piece of paper in half diagonally.  Instead of folding in half at this stage, fold the paper into thirds


Now fold the paper in half


Cut off the two ends, creating either a straight edge for a circular design or angled edge for a pointed design

I cut my paper to form a straight edge


Use the design above to create this lacey design



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...